TeTeX and TeXLive

Zsolt Udvari udvzsolt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 09:51:15 CET 2009

Hi all!

I'm working on TeXLive2009 and when anybody follows the changes, can
see, that I'm splitting the texlive packages to a noarch and an
arch-depend part (texlive-texmf.spec and texlive.spec). The packages
names don't change (not will be e.g. texlive-texmf-latex-math or
similar, only texlive-latex-math).
In texlive.spec and texlive-texmf.spec there are many tetex-* provides
(and obsoletes) because of compatibility with another, older packages
(which (build)requires tetex-*). I want remove these provides in
texlive.spec and texlive-texmf.spec, because these provides are a
little difficult and imho unnecessary and redundant (yesterday I
searched a provides-obsoletes-conlict about a half hour).
The texlive packages are in repos about a half year (as I remember)
and as I know, they work well. There are some difficulty with upgrade
from tetex to texlive but as I know, can solve these problems with
manual upgrade. And yes, texlive-packages need some more requires
(mostly in latex-* packages, but I don't use e.g. chemical packages so
I can't test them), so not perfect.

So, what I want?
>From the "developers": I want that the package "maintainers" check
his/her packages and their (build)requires and if necessary, update
the depends from tetex to texlive and increment the release (and test
the package, of course ;))
>From the "users" (and "developers" too ;)): if you use any TeX-system
and you use tetex now, please upgrade to texlive.

Thanks!

Zsolt