TeTeX and TeXLive

Zsolt Udvari udvzsolt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 17:02:50 CET 2009

> > From the "developers": I want that the package "maintainers" check
> > his/her packages and their (build)requires and if necessary, update
> > the depends from tetex to texlive and increment the release (and
> > test the package, of course ;))
> >
> > From the "users" (and "developers" too ;)): if you use any
> > TeX-system and you use tetex now, please upgrade to texlive.
>
> isn't this this is too complicated for average developer (tm)?
Hm? I don't understand you. If a developer ("package maintainer")
updates and cares about foo.spec, (s)he knows that this package needs
or not any tetex-package.

> how would he/she know what is the new name?
From tetex to texlive? In the most cases the name is "equal" (texlive-foo
instead of tetex-foo). Any cases: search in poldek which package provides
tetex-foo and can find that texlive-foo2 provides tetex-foo. Or this isn't
solution?

> imho it's better make some migration package for the upgrade process
> and maintain it separately, like there exists X11.spec.
So do you say that should be create texlive2008.spec?

Zsolt