PLD-doc: devel-hints-en.txt - notes on Release tag and %rel macro

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Mon Jun 7 14:59:12 CEST 2010

On Monday 07 of June 2010, Caleb Maclennan wrote:
> 2010/6/7 pawelz <pawelz at pld-linux.org>:
> > +   Fractional release (0.1, 0.5, 3.14 etc) means package is not yet
> > ready to +   be sent to builders. If you think that package is ready to
> > be build, +   increase release to the next integer.
>
> How does this information apply to packages such as open-iscsi which
> has a release of 0.%{subver}.%{rel} where subver is from the upstream
> project and rel is the pld release incrementor. The reason I ask is
> this 0.x.y number looks like a fraction release to me, but it is built
> and in the TH tree. How should I have incremented this to indicate
> that it isn't ready to be built again yet? Should the rel also be a
> fraction? Why the 0. before the subver?

Usually such scheme (0.%{snap}.%{rel}) is used for snapshots. Then if final
version of package comes you can simply do Release: 1. We avoid putting
snapshot indicator into version because for example final 1.0 < than snapshot
1.0.200100515.

In our versioning this is 1.0-1 final and 1.0-0.20100515.1 for snapshot.

Not sure what open-iscsi subver means in upstream package (is this snapshot
versioning or part of real version number) but the same schema as described
above was used for it.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team