Native upstart scripts

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Tue May 4 19:51:49 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 07:40:43PM +0300, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 May 2010 12:17:41 Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> > My proposition:
> > - packages will provide upstart configuration files in /etc/rc.d/upstart
> > - those could be linked or copied to /etc/init/subsys when needed
> >   - chkconfig would link/unlink the files when requested (global
> >     configuration option and command line option to prefer upstart)
> >   - user could copy them manually and modify them if needed
>
> i don't like the idea that the links are managed via some script, i'd like
> easily to boot to upstart-mode or sysvinit-mode with a kernel commandline, or
> something in /etc/sysconfig/system the both solutions should be available and
> configured at the same time.

I'll take this into account. Though keeping both configured could cause
mistakes like starting a service again the different way. I guess this
can be solved somehow anyway

> also i'd not invent new paths, but use /etc/init for upstart scripts.

Recent upstart allows hierarchical names. I thought a separate namespace
(subsys/* or rc/*) for the rc-scripts equivalents would be a good idea.
Now I think it will be probably better to use subdirs for local stuff
(/etc/init/local -> local/* jobs) and sub-tasks (e.g.
/etc/init/postgresql.conf – 'postgresql' task to start/stop whole
postgresql and /etc/init/postgresql/instance.conf –
'postgresql/instance' describing each instance) instead.

Greets,
        Jacek