Future direction of official PLD website (Was: A couple questions about the website)

Caleb Maclennan caleb at pld-linux.org
Sat Nov 20 15:35:18 CET 2010

2010/11/11 Elan Ruusamäe <glen at pld-linux.org>:
> there actually exists dokuwiki install:
> http://www.pld-linux.org/dokuwiki/
>
> currently it uses pldusers.org theme, so if somebody would
> create theme similar to current www in dokuwiki format,
> i'd finish the data migration and replace the moinmoun install
>
> moinmoin install is outdated, unmaintained (at least in pld side),
> dokuwiki i use at least myself, so i could improve and tech support it.

Does anybody have any ideas or strong opinions about MoinMoin vs.
DokuWiki? I have none. Both upstream projects seem to be pretty well
supported and updated, although DokuWiki seems to have a smaller
community and periodic spells of stagnation. In it's favor Elan knows
it already and is willing to help support it. It seems like either one
can be adapted for our needs.

My original thought was to add the current state of affairs including
the modified moinmoin source that currently powers the site to cvs and
then work through upgrading moinmoin keeping appropriate
modifications, then get all the broken bits working and start cleaning
up the site from there. Future site maintenance would then be easier
to continue or tweak by anyone with cvs access. However, the moinmoin
install is so old (modified 1.3.3) that it looks like upgrading
through 5 major releases will be as much work as switching to another
engine if that's what folks want to see. Also the file structure has
changed significantly several times, making cvs and it's lack of
move/rename functions a cumbersome way to deal with this. Perhaps
subversion or git would be a better option to manage whatever site
source code we end up with?

Additionally, can someone explain what is up with pld-users.org? It
looks like this was an attempt to actually do what pld-linux.org ought
to have been doing while it was actually stagnating. It seems like
some of the best content there should be pulled over, and the parts of
it that are now themselves out of date should be jettisoned. Thoughts
on this?

Caleb