Future direction of official PLD website (Was: A couple questions about the website)

Caleb Maclennan caleb at pld-linux.org
Sat Nov 20 17:56:51 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 17:54, Marcin Rybak <marcin.rybak at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if I have a law to say something :) - but, I'm not sure if
> dokuwiki with revisions and recent changes is what should appear on PLD
> site. IMO it is better for guides (like docs.pld-users.org was)

I hear your concern about the nature of the site root pages, but the
current site is built on a wiki engine and unless somebody has a clear
idea of what should make up the site root instead, I don't see any
reason not to keep going that direction. We could use some combination
of ACL's and namespaces to not show things like the revision history
or edit options for root pages to non-commiters, but still encourage
the community to help maintain the site.

The other options would be to code up something by hand or bring a
different kind of CMS into the mix, such as drupal. I'd be happy to
move that route too and there would be some advantages. Thoughts?

> AFAIR pld-users was for users :), to make them chance to support pld, share
> their own content and experiences. They do not have to ask for right to
> change sth, and if something is outdated, everybody can change it.

I think this was the idea behind making the main site a wiki in the
first place, but with the user system broken, it's fallen a few years
out of date itself.

If we do continue with a wiki as the primary CMS, we could easily have
a users name-space so that people can contribute new content and since
it would be the same format, we could easily promote this content to
being top level without needing to reformat, relink everything such as
if the site was managed with drupal or another CMS.

Caleb