python3.2+ compiled files

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Sun Apr 3 14:51:30 CEST 2011

On Apr 3, 2011, at 8:38 AM, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:

>>> and sources are often the only source of (up to date)
>>> documentation.
>> So the source code is the documentation. What else is new? Are you
>> simply trolling, or just are too ignorant to be aware that's also what
>> happens with all other programming languages?
>
> Except in Python you can execute/import .py files just fine. If the
> program is not closed source, .pyc/.pyo/__pycache__ are just an
> optimization detail. We could very well create them in %post.

Not %post please ;-)

But I'd generally agree that the compilation might
need to be done on the install, not during the build, given
just the few hints of how python 3.2 is changing.

Another approach would be to not bother with static *.py* content
packaged in *.rpm at all, but rather let python establish its own
format/implementation for install/upgrade/erase of python code.

73 de Jeff