python3.2+ compiled files

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Sun Apr 3 22:11:14 CEST 2011

On Apr 3, 2011, at 4:01 PM, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Jeff Johnson <n3npq at mac.com> wrote:
>> I see a problem with /usr/bin/__pycache__/* and the rest of
>> the python litter on a file system. While __pycache__ subdirs "works" in python's
>> module trees, there will be a litter of __pycache__ subdirs on other
>> paths.
>>
>> But can't a shadow tree (perhaps /var/cache/python/usr/bin/__pycache__/*?) be done?
>
> That's exactly what I mean, ideally we'd have cached pre-compiled
> files built somewhere in /var/cache for root and ~/.local/cache for
> local files.

Please note that there's _NEVER_ been any real world
reason to package up pure side-effects for any of
	/sbin/ldconfig symlinks
	sockets   (why bother with a path that is always re-created?!?
	log files (%ghost was a hack hob to get uucp/hylafax/amanda perms in place)
	*.pyc/*.pyo (these were added to give SELinux a stable/static namespace to attach xattr's)

All of the above should be handled automagically, with explicit
mechanisms, not just by hack-o-round in *.spec endlessly.

Its not like any of the above side-effects isn't very very well understood
and predictable and easily automated in RPM itself, not through endless mind-numbing
*.spec fiddle-ups churn-and-burn. The bikeshed discussions have all been rehashed
so many times that there isn't anything left to talk about, just late arrivals
who haven't quite figgered out what to do.

JMNSHO

73 de Jeff