python3.2+ compiled files

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Mon Apr 4 06:58:21 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 10:01:32PM +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Jeff Johnson <n3npq at mac.com> wrote:
> > I see a problem with /usr/bin/__pycache__/* and the rest of
> > the python litter on a file system. While __pycache__ subdirs "works" in python's
> > module trees, there will be a litter of __pycache__ subdirs on other
> > paths.
> >
> > But can't a shadow tree (perhaps /var/cache/python/usr/bin/__pycache__/*?) be done?
>
> That's exactly what I mean, ideally we'd have cached pre-compiled
> files built somewhere in /var/cache for root and ~/.local/cache for
> local files.

Who is going to clean ~/.local/cache for files removed from system?

Also, I'm against compiling python files during installation of rpm package.
Python bytecode depends only on python major.minor (not micro) version,
so there is no reason to do it individually on each target system.
Just like we don't create Java or .NET bytecode at install time.

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.pl/