ConsoleKit-0.4.3 doesn't work for PLD, was: Re: Network-Manager nm-applet-0.8.2 is broken.

Fryderyk Dziarmagowski freetz at gmx.net
Sun Jan 2 23:47:05 CET 2011

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 14:14:02 +0100
Jacek Konieczny <jajcus at jajcus.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 02:10:50PM +0000, Przemo Firszt wrote:
> > Dnia 2010-12-31, pią o godzinie 18:14 +0100, Fryderyk Dziarmagowski
> > pisze:
> > [..]
> > >
> > > CK session was not started properly (there are some missing bits in PLD
> > > to run it out of a box).
> >
> > OK, fair enough. Can you be a bit more specific? How I can fix it?
> > I have exec ck-launch-session in .xinitrc, but that doesn't make any
> > difference.
>
> +1
>
> Answering 'something is missing' is not very helpful when things doesn't
> work for people.

Basically PLD's xinit lacks proper CK support. See Fedora, Gentoo,
Debian for working examples. A "workaround" posted in your previous
post is a step in a right direction.

> I have to manually set ACL for /dev/dri/* to have OpenGL working because
> of that 'broken something' (if you insist CK is not broken).

Well, just don't use udev-acl and add
SUBSYSTEM=="drm", GROUP="video" to
50-my-lovely-intel-video-accelerator.rules
But wait! It's too crappy to play Penumbra anyway... ;)

> > > There is no reason to revert it.
>
> Maybe someone should finish it so it works properly for all PLD users
> _or_ revert it. I we know 'there are some missing bits in PLD' then the
> change should not be incorporated until the missing bits are fixed IMHO.

Maybe. Any volunteers?
But seriously. "no reason to revert" it's just my opinion (and I'm not
a developer). The crappy gdm thing works with CK 0.4.3 version, so I
assume it can be done without reverting it.

> > I'm OK with that. It just worked for me :-)
>
> I am still trying…
>
> Greets,
>         Jacek

Regards