packages: transmission/transmission.spec - ta_LK (Sri Lanka Tamil) unsuppor...

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld-linux.org
Mon Jun 6 09:21:38 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 03:05:53PM +0300, Caleb Maclennan wrote:

> >> Valid question. The workings of  find_lang and some other rpm ninja
> >> tricks are still slightly magic to me.
> >>
> >> In this case, because it worked. That one language was causing RPM to
> >> fail to install, and removing it allowed it to be installed without
> >> errors.
> >>

> > ok, my first through was that we drop languages that it's impossible that
> > PLD user will ever use, and second... "why only this one" :)
>
> There are an awful lot that could not realistically be used. Has the
> possibility of a whitelist of fully included languages been
> considered? It seems like every spec has a different list of
> problematic languages that have to be cleaned up, but across the
> distro there isn't a lot of consistency here.

Well, up to date supported locales list is in glibc, particularly:
- as comments in glibc.spec (for locales already handled in some way in
  PLD)
- in /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED file (locales supported by glibc)

We don't artificially drop some locale just because it's "unlikely to be
used".

> > on what environment it fails to build? I had no problems with transmission.
>
> It didn't fail to build, the resulting rpm fails to install with a
> dependency error on a tl_LK language directory. (TH 64)

So far (glibc 2.13, I haven't checked 2.14), Tamil (ta) is supported only
or India (LANG=ta_IN).

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://qboosh.pl/