python3.2+ compiled files

Artur Wroblewski wrobell at pld-linux.org
Thu May 19 18:34:18 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Jakub Bogusz <qboosh at pld-linux.org> wrote:
[...]
> So we have to decide how to package python distribution (and possibly
> all python3 modules, if distutils use __pycache__ too) - there are
> two solutions:
>
> - package all modules in source form together with __pycache__
>  subdirectories
>
> - stick to "old way" - manually py_comp/py_ocomp all python files,
>  package *.py[co] without using __pycache__ subdirectories

Looking at PEP 3147 and looking around on the net it seems that
some people should be happy that sourceless module distribution
is still supported at all [1][2]. The Python devs even do not care so much
about missing pyc/pyo files in __pycache__ dir [3].

It seems that we need to follow the crowd and include .py files as default. :/

Regards,

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3147/#case-4-legacy-pyc-files-and-source-less-imports
[2] http://sayspy.blogspot.com/2010/05/maintaining-backwards-compatibility.html
[3] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2011-February/108110.html