th stable (Re: gimp 2.8.0 rc1, gimp plugins)

Artur Wroblewski wrobell at pld-linux.org
Fri Apr 20 20:48:40 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Caleb Maclennan <caleb at pld-linux.org> wrote:
>> Ac is stable release for which we have appropriate branch and Th
>> is in constant development mode, isn't it?
>
> This is one area where PLD's release system is actually pretty wonky.
> Other than a few emebeded or very static applications, AC is simply
> too old to use for most stable systems. This puts the pressure on TH
> -- as in reality, most folks use PLD for it's rolling constant
> development branch. Anything that breaks that breaks production
> systems.

it seems this discussion would not happen if not the problem summarized above.

well... if you need more stable line, then why not to create one with
appropriate
branch in CVS? of course, the problem is that somebody needs to maintain that,
which I believe is full time job and lack of resources causes the stable branch
to freeze. therefore, imho, it is not good idea to link CVS HEAD with stable
line - and that was the result of similar discussions in the past if i
reckon well.

if you need more reassurance, then what about introducing TH-STABLE tag and
sending packages to builders only when they are tagged with above?

[...]

regards,