th stable (Re: gimp 2.8.0 rc1, gimp plugins)

Caleb Maclennan caleb at pld-linux.org
Fri Apr 20 20:57:54 CEST 2012

> well... if you need more stable line, then why not to create one with
> appropriate
> branch in CVS? of course, the problem is that somebody needs to maintain that,
> which I believe is full time job and lack of resources causes the stable branch
> to freeze. therefore, imho, it is not good idea to link CVS HEAD with stable
> line - and that was the result of similar discussions in the past if i
> reckon well.
>
> if you need more reassurance, then what about introducing TH-STABLE tag and
> sending packages to builders only when they are tagged with above?

A tag scheme like that could of course work. Again I would ask ask
how, other than different tag names, this is different from the status
quo. Please answer this: what do you see as the advantage to having an
RC release tagged HEAD instead of DEVEL? How does merging DEVEL into
HEAD before it's going to be a candidate for FTP make life any
different for you? What's the motivation? I honestly don't understand
what you're trying to accomplish and thus I feel like you're
presenting a solution to something that isn't a problem and thereby
introducing a problem. Does that make sense?

Caleb