%changelog not in descending chronological order

Kacper Kornet draenog at pld-linux.org
Mon Jul 16 21:43:11 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 06:38:10PM +0200, Jacek Konieczny wrote:

> > Doing qsort(3) on RPMTAG_CHANGELOG* in rpmbuild isn't too hard, might be
> > easier than trying to figure out how to trick up git sewage.

> I wonder if RPM really needs to enforce the changelog order. Would it
> really hurt if it just allowed building a package with such seemingly
> unordered entries? Will anything break if we just disable the test?

So we have two solutions:

a) Switch to show committer dates in changelog. It should be possible to
show these dates should be in chronological order.

Drawback: for commits migrated from CVS this date is set to some
value =~ time of  cvs->git migration

b) Patch rpm in PLD to remove enforcing of chronological order in
changelog. The patch seems trivial.

I would go for b).

--
  Kacper