%changelog not in descending chronological order

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Mon Jul 16 21:47:41 CEST 2012

On Jul 16, 2012, at 3:43 PM, Kacper Kornet <draenog at pld-linux.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 06:38:10PM +0200, Jacek Konieczny wrote:

>>> Doing qsort(3) on RPMTAG_CHANGELOG* in rpmbuild isn't too hard, might be
>>> easier than trying to figure out how to trick up git sewage.
>
>> I wonder if RPM really needs to enforce the changelog order. Would it
>> really hurt if it just allowed building a package with such seemingly
>> unordered entries? Will anything break if we just disable the test?
>
> So we have two solutions:
>
> a) Switch to show committer dates in changelog. It should be possible to
> show these dates should be in chronological order.
>
> Drawback: for commits migrated from CVS this date is set to some
> value =~ time of  cvs->git migration
>
> b) Patch rpm in PLD to remove enforcing of chronological order in
> changelog. The patch seems trivial.
>
> I would go for b).

c) qsort the 3 change log tags

d) rip out change logs from *.rpm entirely

Unlike git scripting, any of b), c), f) are quite tricky.

b) will introduce some incompatibilities: for starters,
there's functionality already implemented to truncate
change log's by number/oldest that will break if you
just go unordered.

hth

73 de Jeff