rpm-5.4.10-22.i686 loops forever when installing ntpd-4.2.6p5-5.i686.rpm

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Fri Nov 30 15:11:38 CET 2012

On Nov 30, 2012, at 8:57 AM, Jeffrey Johnson <n3npq at me.com> wrote:

> The actual namespace and the intended semantic should be identified also:
> PLD is doing something different than other distros.

From git log
This patch fixes a bug with ntpd package we encoutered:
- ntpdate has "Conflicts: ntp < 4.2.0-3"
- ntpd has "Provides: ntp = 4.2.4" and "Provides: user(ntp)"
now, if ntpdate is installed then attempt to install ntpd causes
_rpmtsCheck to compare "C: ntp" to both "P: ntp" AND THEN "P: user(ntp)"
due to lack of dependency namespace check. Side effect of this is
infinite loop in _rpmtsCheck due to inner workings of rpm dependency
iterators.

There are 2 semantics for the namespace user(…) that will surely
cause additional issues. Something has to change to end (or unify)
the confused semantics.

What actions in PLD need the virtual provide
	Provide: user(ntp)

Can a different string choice be substituted?

73 de Jeff