rpm-4.5-69.i686 crash on Qt upgrade

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Tue Oct 2 06:01:36 CEST 2012

On Oct 1, 2012, at 4:55 PM, Jan Rękorajski wrote:

>> What digest is in use for file content? The digest  algorithm is configurable in rpm-5.x, and
>> is more likely to be SHA256/SHA1 than MD5 these days.
>
> Both rpm 4.5 and now rpm 5.4 use MD5 as file digest algo.
>
> And ripping out filemd5 index is quite pointless, as the problem is the

Agreed: pointless hack-o-round removing the Filedigest index …

> inability to install package build with rpm5 on a system with rpm 4.5,

… but "legacy compatibility" doesn't come for free, and rpm-4.5
has no upgrade path (all explained carefully at length to arekm & glen
years ago when the decision to use rpm-4.5 instead of rpm-5.x was made)

> so the real fix is "upgrade to rpm5". But it would be good to know what
> is the cause of that bug to not break things before upgrade.

I can certainly generate the patch to rpm-4.5:  convince me why I should waste any
time on retrofitting "stuff" into an obsolete version of rpm-4.5 and I will do so.

These are ancient -- and quite predictable -- compatibility issues associated
with a change from MD5 to other Newer! Better! Bestest! digest algorithms.

Hint: I again suggest you try removing adding entries to the Filedigests index
to avoid having to solve "legacy compatible" issues that really do not matter.

hth

73 de Jeff