rpm-4.5-69.i686 crash on Qt upgrade

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Tue Oct 2 07:39:43 CEST 2012

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2012, at 4:55 PM, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
> >>
> >> What digest is in use for file content? The digest  algorithm is configurable in rpm-5.x, and
> >> is more likely to be SHA256/SHA1 than MD5 these days.
> >
> > Both rpm 4.5 and now rpm 5.4 use MD5 as file digest algo.
> >
> > And ripping out filemd5 index is quite pointless, as the problem is the
>
> Agreed: pointless hack-o-round removing the Filedigest index …
>
> > inability to install package build with rpm5 on a system with rpm 4.5,
>
> … but "legacy compatibility" doesn't come for free, and rpm-4.5
> has no upgrade path (all explained carefully at length to arekm & glen
> years ago when the decision to use rpm-4.5 instead of rpm-5.x was made)
>
> > so the real fix is "upgrade to rpm5". But it would be good to know what
> > is the cause of that bug to not break things before upgrade.
> >

> I can certainly generate the patch to rpm-4.5:  convince me why I should waste any
> time on retrofitting "stuff" into an obsolete version of rpm-4.5 and I will do so.

No, no, no. I don't want to touch rpm-4.5 code at all. I'd like to know
what is rpm5 doing that kills rpm-4.5.

Or, how to put into every build package a simple dep "Conflicts: rpm < 5" as it
will simply force rpm upgrade.

> These are ancient -- and quite predictable -- compatibility issues associated
> with a change from MD5 to other Newer! Better! Bestest! digest algorithms.

But the default is still MD5.

> Hint: I again suggest you try removing adding entries to the Filedigests index
> to avoid having to solve "legacy compatible" issues that really do not matter.

I can do that, but it will not solve the issue reported here. It will be a
bandaid after the fact.

BTW what's going on with rpm5.org? I can't connect to it from anywhere.
--
Jan Rękorajski                                 | PLD/Linux
SysAdm                                         | http://www.pld-linux.org/