texlive 2012

Zsolt Udvari udvzsolt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 07:23:27 CEST 2012

The reason of splitting: texlive is arch-dependent, texlive-texmf is
arch-independent.
The versions are different.

> - texlive-texmf.spec: texlive-latex-bibtex-data
> - texlive.spec: texlive-latex-bibtex - it requires the above, but you have
>   to build texlive.spec first
You can build texlive.spec with older texlive-latex-bibtex-data. This
is the reason why need bootstrap.
So you'll build texlive2012 with texlive-texmf2008, after you'll build
texlive-texmf2012 with texlive2012, and rebuild texlive2012 with
texlive-texmf2012.

> I would suggest to merge those two specs again. Bit more painful
> to build, but much simpler to maintain.
I think the maintain isn't harder with two little(?) specs.
I think it would be nice to create a policy: which type of files
belongs to texlive and which belongs to texlive-texmf and apply this
policy.
Some time ago, when I've split texlive.spec to texlive.spec and
texlive-texmf.spec many things was adhoc-style :) So first need a
big-big cleaning and I think after this the maintain will be simple.
With one big spec: the build will be hard, see above, as you wrote:
you'll build the texlive.spec's texlive-bin and after you'll install
these packages and build texlive.spec's texlive-texmf?

Zsolt