RPM 5 and BDB 5.3 status update

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Fri Sep 14 12:24:49 CEST 2012

Hello,
This is quick status update on the migration to BDB 5.3 and RPM 5

BDB 5.3 is done, but some packages does not built with it and if noone
takes care of them, they will be removed from ftp:

ggz-server.spec
inn.spec
jabberd.spec
klibido.spec
qtstalker.spec
wwwcount.spec
php52.spec

PHP 5.2 is a special case, was kept only for very backwards
compatibility, and it will be removed anyway.

As for the RPM 5, I'm quite satisfied with rpm 5.4.10-0.15 packages
that are available in th-test, and if nothing big comes up
I will set the release to 1 and put it on ftp in th-ready and
builders on next friday (Sep 21)

So please test again and report problems/regressions.

Once again, slighlty revised, upgrade instructions:

0) backup rpm database in /var/lib/rpm
1) rpm -Fvh rpm* (obviously)
2) run /usr/lib/rpm/bin/dbconvert --rebuilddb
	--rebuilddb option will instruct dbconvert to recreate all
	database indexes, without it indexes will be rectreated
	silently on as-needed basis by rpm [1]
	(may take a long time, even more than hour on large database)

Unfortunately you have to rebuild poldek by yourself for now (take it
from rpm5 branch in git).

[1] Jeff, please correct me if I'm wrong here

--
Jan Rękorajski                                 | PLD/Linux
SysAdm                                         | http://www.pld-linux.org/