rpm 5.x in Th

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Mon Sep 24 16:13:56 CEST 2012

On Sep 24, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:

>> Your symlink trick is clever but I don't recall any serious measurement of performance.
>
> it's not because of performance, it's because this how i picked packages to downgrade:
> 0. cd /var/spool/repackage
> 1. ln -s */python*.rpm .
> 2. ln -s */somethingelse* .
> 3. rm *not*this*.rpm *not*that*.rpm
> 4. ls # to verify

I am (mis-?)remembering a claim of using symlinks instead of copying file content
with paths from packages that you claimed speeded up installs from a few years back.

But using symlinks for packages (not package files) hasn't anything to do with package operations.

> or you mean my own performance? yes, i performed the upgrade a lot faster than looking each package which needed downgrade as well due new python bytecode dependency missing :)
>
> i personally don't like --force & --nodeps (like gotar snippet),
> so i tried to pick packages that resulted all dependencies remaining okay after downgrade.

Try --nofsync when setting up chroot's (or doing operations where you are prepared yo
discard everything the operation fails). The fsync() operation is as costly as --nofdigests).

>> Is this result successful or not?
> yes py 2.7 -> py 2.6 downgrade was success

Good.