(sym?-)links (Re: rpm 5.x in Th)

Elan Ruusamäe glen at pld-linux.org
Mon Sep 24 16:37:20 CEST 2012

On 24.09.2012 17:13, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
> I am (mis-?)remembering a claim of using symlinks instead of copying file content
> with paths from packages that you claimed speeded up installs from a few years back.
you probably remember case when links were used at PACKAGE BUILDING time

if that was the case, then there were used hardlinks instead of file
copies to transfer files from BUILD-dir to $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

and it came up as discussion as when a symlink was hardlinked, weird
behaviour was found that the hardlinked symlinks appeared nowhere after
package install

and symlinks were hardlinked because the hardlinking procedure used cp
-al DIR where DIR contained symlinks

--
glen