(sym?-)links (Re: rpm 5.x in Th)

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Mon Sep 24 17:28:38 CEST 2012

On Sep 24, 2012, at 10:37 AM, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:

> On 24.09.2012 17:13, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
>> I am (mis-?)remembering a claim of using symlinks instead of copying file content
>> with paths from packages that you claimed speeded up installs from a few years back.
> you probably remember case when links were used at PACKAGE BUILDING time
>
> if that was the case, then there were used hardlinks instead of file copies to transfer files from BUILD-dir to $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
>
> and it came up as discussion as when a symlink was hardlinked, weird behaviour was found that the hardlinked symlinks appeared nowhere after package install
>
> and symlinks were hardlinked because the hardlinking procedure used cp -al DIR where DIR contained symlinks

Ah he's hard linked symlinks not handled correctly by rpm.

Likely fixable now: at the time you reported, there was a re-release of
a CVE about removing hardlinks on files during erasure which trumped
your bug: the wiser course at the time seemed to be not to to disrupt
the paranoid security types with too much info regarding
	hardlink -> symlink -> setuid/setgid
so that the re-release of the CVE might deploy on schedule.

73 de Jeff