[RFC] Retired/dead packages in repo

Elan Ruusamäe glen at pld-linux.org
Thu Jan 16 00:10:10 CET 2014

On 15/01/14 23:04, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> On 2014-01-15 20:45, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
>> My proposal is to do what Fedora does in its repo, for a retired package:
>> 1) git delete all files in package, spec, patches, etc.
>> 2) create "dead.package" file with explanation why it was retired (for
>>     example "Obsoleted by XXX" or "Renamed to YYY")
>> 3) make package read-only to avoid grave digging
> I have no idea what Fedora does, but this is what I was thinking about
> too. Dummy repositories pointing to the right packages cost little and
> may really help.

this has somehow to be linked with SPECS repo.

because i never look whether package exists, i only do ls in SPECS repo
to find if package exists

technically speaking, i have cron that pulls SPECS repo, and cron that
runs updatedb for that dir, and to find package i use:
$ locate -i SOMETHING | grep -i SOMETHING_MORE

--
glen