[RFC] Retired/dead packages in repo

Jan Rękorajski baggins at pld-linux.org
Tue Jan 21 20:33:39 CET 2014

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:

> On 15/01/14 23:04, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> > On 2014-01-15 20:45, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
> >> My proposal is to do what Fedora does in its repo, for a retired package:
> >> 1) git delete all files in package, spec, patches, etc.
> >> 2) create "dead.package" file with explanation why it was retired (for
> >>     example "Obsoleted by XXX" or "Renamed to YYY")
> >> 3) make package read-only to avoid grave digging
> > I have no idea what Fedora does, but this is what I was thinking about
> > too. Dummy repositories pointing to the right packages cost little and
> > may really help.
> >
> this has somehow to be linked with SPECS repo.

I don't know how SPECS is built, but two solutions come to mind. One is
to leave things as is, meaning dead package -> no spec in SPECS, second
one is to create there dummy spec with contents of dead.package file.

--
Jan Rękorajski                                 | PLD/Linux
SysAdm                                         | http://www.pld-linux.org/