network configuration subsystems (was: New systemd)

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Fri Jul 4 14:03:17 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 09:17:52AM +0200, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> We could, of course, try to fix rc-scripts with more and more
> shell hacking (still trying to keep backward-compatibility),
> but why force us to maintain that, when there are other,
> simple, tested and maintained solutions.

Well you might be interested in /etc/net -- it's mature to the
point it needs minor to no maintenance, even the website has been
closed by its original author several years ago; here's the git:
http://git.altlinux.org/gears/e/etcnet.git?p=etcnet.git;a=tree;f=docs;hb=HEAD

Basically built from ground up around modern Linux kernel
networking capabilities and corresponding userspace tools.

ALT specific, portable (I've heard of a Gentoo package and router
use with a pile of physical interfaces, there was a failed Fedora
proposal too: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/195365).

Coexists with NM and connman just fine over here.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info