New systemd

Tomasz Rutkowski alucard at nospheratu.net
Fri Jul 4 16:46:19 CEST 2014

Dnia 2014-07-03, czw o godzinie 11:01 +0200, Jacek Konieczny pisze:
> On 03/07/14 10:30, Jan Rękorajski wrote:
> >> networkd probably should not be enabled by default if the network is
> >> already configured PLD-way, but otherwise it is good to have it.
> >> I think it could be a good idea to use it by default when there is no
> >> other network configuration. There is a change it will 'just work' in
> >> the most common scenarios. We cannot provide this with our rc-scripts.
> >
> > That's some solution, but consider new install, where networkd will be
> > enabled and then admin wants to make some changes to the NIC setup only
> > to find out it doesn't work. We need a simple way for networkd to
> > disable itself or our network scripts to disable it when needed.
>
> I guess networkd has some facilities for interaction with NetworkManager
> (one should probably disable the other), maybe that could be reused for
> rc-scripts too. Our 'ifup', when used with our ifcfg file could just
> tell networkd 'ignore this interface from now on' or something. When
> there is no ifcfg file, then ifup/ifdown could be just another interface
> to networkd.
>
> > Or we could just enable networkd by default on new/unconfigured installs
> > and put a big information-warning in our scripts what to do when someone
> > wants to use them instead of networkd.

networkd in last versions does automatic configuration on new interfaces
only for containers created with systemd-nspawn
normally it needs to have {systemd_dir}/network/whatever.network .netdev
files, thus it lives quite happy with our rc-scripts (dunno NM but I
presume similar)

215 works well on my kvm machines, have not tested yet baremetal...

regards
Tomasz Rutkowski