MIT kerberos vs heimdal

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Sat Feb 7 17:37:31 CET 2015

On Sat, Feb 07, 2015 at 16:42:17 +0100, Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz wrote:

>> Anyone knows/remembers why did we choose heimdal over MIT?
>
> IPv6 support I guess.

According to http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/IPv6 and

http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-1.12/doc/mitK5features.html

supported since 1.9. This was an issue 12 years ago

http://kerberos.mit.narkive.com/4KSSxTp8/ipv6-support-in-mit-kerberos

- if so, shouldn't we reconsider? Last heimdal 1.5.2 was released
3 years ago, while krb5 1.13 is 3.8 months old.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/kerberos5.html

"The Heimdal Kerberos implementation was explicitly developed outside of
the US to avoid export regulations."

http://www.h5l.org/

"Heimdal is an implementation of Kerberos 5 (and some more stuff)
largely written in Sweden (which was important when we started writing
it, less so now)."

It seems heimdal is obsoleted. MIT is definitely not.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>