noarch main package, arch subpackage?

Elan Ruusamäe glen at pld-linux.org
Wed Mar 25 08:24:51 CET 2015

On 24.03.2015 22:58, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2015, at 3:53 PM, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
>
>> it's possible to create noarch subpackage with rpm5,
>> but what if the main package (%files) ought to be noarch but some subpackage to be arch package?
>>
>> example:
>> https://github.com/pld-linux/gnome-themes-standard/blob/auto/th/gnome-themes-standard-3.14.2.3-1/gnome-themes-standard.spec#L96-L118
>>
>> here gnome-themes-standard and gnome-themes-standard-accessibility are noarch, but only gtk2-theme-engine-adwaita subpackage contains arch specific files...
>>
> Try-and-see ... my guess is that you can have per-arch or noarch subpackages
> however you wish (but its been like 8-10y since I wrote the code, -ENOCLUE).
well, i tried as:
BuildArch: noarch in main pacakge
and BuildArch: %{target} in subpackage

but that obviously throw error that subpackages can be only noarch.

[~/relup/gnome-themes-standard (master)⚡] ➔ \rpmbuild -bb *.spec
error: line 56: Only "noarch" sub-packages are supported: BuildArch:
x86_64-linux
error: Package has no %description: gtk2-theme-engine-adwaita.noarch

it's already know that rpm5 behaves that way:
https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm/issues/667
afaik rpm.org permits other values than just "noarch" to "BuildArch:" value.

> You can always have a per-arch main package that has no files (and no %files
> means that there will be no binary package produced) and then add another
> subpackage that specifies noarch that contains the content that was originally
> contained in the main package. You likely have to rename the main package,
> and that new name will appear in the *.src.rpm propagated into the subpackages.
yes, that is the current only possible way. but i do not want to rename
src.rpm, nor to rename main package...

--
glen