bacula versions

Marcin Krol hawk at pld-linux.org
Thu Apr 21 08:50:57 CEST 2016

> looks like 7.2.0 is older than 7.0.5? like 7.2 is development branch for
> 7.0? huh? and they both result v14 database?
>
> so i'm a bit confused of their releases, and what version series we
> should stick in pld?

Its not older. Bacula isn't always providing all SQL migration paths and
scripts in their tarballs, you have to obtain proper ones from older
tarballs if doing bigger version jump. Its not the first time its that way.

AFAIR there was no DB update after 5.x to 7.x series switch or it was
mere cosmetics. I may be wrong however, I've switched to 7.x series back
in 2014.

> the problem i have is that i have bacula5 director, and having upraded
> clients to bacula7 results authentication failures
> yet if i read 7.4.0 release notes http://blog.bacula.org/release-7-4-0/
>
> it claims: " Upgrading should be easy since there is no database change
> and all older File Daemons should remain compatible with Bacula 7.4.0."
> of course i don't know do they claim if 5.2 clients can connect there or
> not

Director will work with all older clients, but will not work with any
newer clients. If client is newer than director it will be rejected. It
is explained in bacula documentation. You either have to upgrade your
director or downgrade the clients. There is no other way to make it work
due to changes made in client-director communication protocol.

FYI there is bacula 7.4.0 in TLD git. Feel free to merge it if you want.

M.