nginx-standard drop

Elan Ruusamäe glen at pld-linux.org
Wed Oct 19 11:30:53 CEST 2016

tl;dr;
i see all the "flavours" can be dropped and replaced with dynamic modules
so i'm dropping all subpackages (on dev-dynamic branch first)

On 19.10.2016 10:28, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> On 2016-10-18 23:51, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
>> proposition:
>>   drop nginx "-standard" suffix? in package and filenames
>
> +1
>
> And get rid of all other HTTP versions. The "-mail" can stay, I guess.

mail can be dynamic too, from --help i see these can be built as shared:

[~/rpm/packages/BUILD.x86_64-linux/nginx-1.11.3] ➔ ./configure
--help|grep =dynamic
   --with-http_xslt_module=dynamic    enable dynamic ngx_http_xslt_module
   --with-http_image_filter_module=dynamic
   --with-http_geoip_module=dynamic   enable dynamic ngx_http_geoip_module
   --with-http_perl_module=dynamic    enable dynamic ngx_http_perl_module
   --with-mail=dynamic                enable dynamic POP3/IMAP4/SMTP
proxy module
   --with-stream=dynamic              enable dynamic TCP/UDP proxy module
   --with-stream_geoip_module=dynamic enable dynamic ngx_stream_geoip_module
[~/rpm/packages/BUILD.x86_64-linux/nginx-1.11.3] ➔

but so far i can't understand why it doesn't build dynamic files.
probably different build flavours just overwrite something

so i'll drop all the flavours and do just single build and then figure
out that dynamic thing.

> Does anybody actually use anything other than "-standard"?

i don't use nginx, but i plan to. but wasn't it you who added "-light"
version?

> I never changed it, not to break things for somebody who used it. And
> because I had no idea why anybody would split the package this way.
there's git log for that :D

--
glen