ERRORS: rpm.spec

Jeffrey Johnson n3npq at me.com
Tue Jan 10 19:09:48 CET 2017

> On Jan 10, 2017, at 12:56 PM, Elan Ruusamäe <glen at pld-linux.org> wrote:
>
> On 10.01.2017 19:46, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
>> I will (at least) send the patch to re-add RPM_I18NSTRING_TYPE to pld-devel@
>> when I remove the data type. The RPM_I18NSTRING_TYPE has always been broken in RPM
>> because the type is sometimes a scalar, and sometimes a vector, depending on the desired
>> access context.
>
> (without understanding what the RPM_I18NSTRING_TYPE problem or change is)
> is it possible with simple #define get same behaviour that 5.4.15 has?

ATM (and through rpm-5.4.17), the RPM_I18NSTRING_TYPE removal is conditioned
by a #define at the bottom of system.h.

PLD (likely) wants this
	/**
	 * Eliminate RPM_I18NSTRING_TYPE.
	 */
	#define  SUPPORT_I18NSTRING_TYPE 1

(aside)
And while looking at system.h, I am reminded of the well-discussed removal
of —nosignatures/—nodigests in order to support MANDATORY signature verification
in RPM.

PLD (likely) wants this
	/**
	 * Eliminate signature/digest disablers.
	 */
	#define  SUPPORT_NOSIGNATURES	1
	#define  SUPPORT_NODIGESTS	1

Patches to re-add the code of both of the above will be made
available when the code is removed (before rpm-5.4.18 is released).

Through rpm-5.4.17, RPM has been tested with/without those defines
and is known to “work” with either setting. The remaining step
is to commit RPM to a simpler release pathway by removing the code.

> from your post i understand RPM_I18NSTRING_TYPE is still there in 5.4.16/5.4.17

Yes.

73 de Jeff