[packages/microcode-data-intel] - rel 2; produce single file that can be used by grub

Tomasz Pala gotar at polanet.pl
Sun Sep 10 05:17:51 CEST 2017

On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 20:20:17 +0200, Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz wrote:

> The only reason I could imagine is to manually generate microcode files from
> manually download tarball from intel.com.

There's no reason to do that ...provided we ship updates ASAP. But since we
might be late, someone might make use of this binary in a future.

We never know if some critical (like security-related) patch won't
happen. See Skylake/Kaby Lake HT issue recently.

So:
1. if kernel module requires per-CPU files, we should provide the
binary to split upstream file,
2. if grub requires single file, but in different than upstream format,
we should provide the binary merging files into it.

This becames obvious if you only consider these as a compilers. We do
provide gcc despite having binary ready-to-use packages.

> Likely no one does that.

Likely no non-developer uses PLD anymore... As it it mostly unusable
without r/w git access and STBR permissions. Consider a r/o user in a
need to update microcode we do not yet have - he _must_ go gcc-way
(find the code & compile the binary, either with or without updating
microcode-data-intel.spec itself), unless we do ship these binariers,
ready to use on downloaded microcode.

What I miss in the commit log is the source of these files.
And/or iucode_tool.

--
Tomasz Pala <gotar at pld-linux.org>