migrating pld /var/run to /run (and related dirs)

Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Thu Feb 6 19:20:26 CET 2020

Hi.

We need to finally do this while still keeping sysvinit compatibility
(using symlinks).

Migrate

/var/run to /run and keep /var/run -> /run symlink
/var/lock to /run/lock and /var/lock -> /run/lock symlink
/run/shm -> /dev/shm symlink
(any other?)

I wonder what is the best approach to do that on live servers.

Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/RunDirectory

I guess migration needs to be in rc.sysinit. After rootfs and /var mount do:
- create /run dirs and convert old dirs to symlinks
- add /run* tmpfs mounting entries to /etc/fstab if not existent, so
next time migration logic via rc.sysinit will not be needed at all.

Or do fstab entries on rc-scripts package upgrade and only change
/var/dirs to symlinks in rc.sysinit.

End result is that /run entries are always tmpfs mounts while /var/ has
symlinks for backward compatibility.

Ideas?

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz, arekm / ( maven.pl | pld-linux.org )