migrating pld /var/run to /run (and related dirs)

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Sat Feb 8 20:00:47 CET 2020

On 2/8/20 6:52 PM, Tomasz Pala wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 19:20:26 +0100, Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz wrote:
>
>> We need to finally do this while still keeping sysvinit compatibility
>> (using symlinks).
>
> Why do we need to do this? Legacy SysVinit uses /var/run and works,
> while systemd systems are already handled well (tmpfiles etc.) in /run.

New systemd won't even boot properly when /run is a symlink. And many
system components rely on /run and /var/run contents to be the same,
especially when they are supposed to run on SysVinit and systemd systems
with the same default config.

> In other words: what problem are you going to solve and in which
> scenarios? IMHO the /etc/init.d/ scripts should be kept as they are.

That is why the /var/run -> /run symlink should be provided.

Jacek