[projects/template-specs] use %cargo_* macros

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 13:34:23 CEST 2021

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 4:34 AM Elan Ruusamäe <glen at pld-linux.org> wrote:

> On 30.03.2021 21:57, Jakub Bogusz wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 06:46:46PM +0300, Elan Ruusamäe wrote:
> > [...]
> > When it comes to crates, It'd better to find some generic solution for
> > packaging creates system-wide instead of vendoring everything
> > everywhere. I'm aware Fedora has some, but I didn't have enough time to
> > do a research.
>
> their solution to create 120 packages for each of them.
>
> the same goes for npm and go packages.

As one of the developers of those macros, I can confidently say both
ways (per component packaging and vendored packages) are supported.
For Rust and Go, we're doing per-component packaging because having to
patch and fix the same thing hundreds of times is terrible for
security stuff. Fixing the code once and kicking off rebuilds of
reverse dependency chains is way easier. For Nodejs, we do vendored by
default now: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NodejsLibrariesBundleByDefault

> besides, if you diverge from versions present in vendor lock,
>
> you are bringing package support on your own shoulders. we do not have
> such resources!

While it's true you're diverging, this is no different than what you
do with C, C++, Ruby, Perl, and Python. In practice, this is where
distros sharing resources comes in handy because you can collaborate
on it.