installer

Jarek Woloszyn yossa w pld.org.pl
Nie, 31 Gru 2000, 00:20:33 CET

[sobota, 30 grudzień 2000], Paweł Kołodziej napisał(a):

> > With one exception: wuch.
>
> :)) I think that writing new user interface to wuch could be a good thing.
> Current one (written by yossa) uses newt and I just can't
> develope it (personally, I think newt should be banned).
> Any volunteers ? In fact since in wuch's user interface is almost completly
> separated from "main code" it should be quite easy.

First of all, i haven't seen this new installer, and I don't know dml at all.

I see one problem with writing a new interface to wuch. The problem is
that GUI consists of a big data structure of pointers to rpm header data.
This structure is some kind o B-tree and describes all directories in the
selector. When we show this on the screen newt functions get also a pointers
to a flag ,,selected'' to every dir entry and the trick with selecting
packages is done in the newt functions.
Pkgssel dosn't use raw newt. I took some functions from
newt and created a new widget to support this.
The magic is in a clever data structure, so the gui code is very simple.

When you would like to switch to some external GUI you would have to
build some dml form, show it on the screen, when the user press something
return some exit code, change data structure, build a new dml form, and so...
The external GUI cannot change internal data structures freely and that's
why using dml in wuch may be more complicated than you think (and much
slower).
I don't say that newt is the best solution, but it's not a bad library for
writing what we want to have.

Pawel, if you want, I can write real documentation for functions used in
pkgssel, so you could develop it by yourself.
I will also see dml, because I may be wrong.

--
 ( Jarek Woloszyn ) ( yossa w pld.org.pl ) ( the GNU generation )
 ( HomePage   http://www.yossa.ko.pl   ) (  ICQ UIN: 1922941  )