rpm still can't use proper package order...

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek w rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl
Sob, 6 Sty 2001, 00:15:28 CET

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Sebastian Zagrodzki wrote:

> rpm doesn't set order properly when, in list of packages, package
> (let's call it A) that requires stg (call it B) is prerequired by
> another pkg (C), but B is _after_ C.
>
> A - req -> B
> C -> prereq -> A
>
> installation list: A, C, B
>
> rpm checks, if A is before C, and then it stops setting order for these
> packages, regardless of B being before or after A.
>
> Example:
>
> XFree86 requires: XFree86-libs
> XFree86-fonts prerequires: /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir (provided by XFree86)
>
> given order: XFree86 XFree86-fonts XFree86-libs
>
> XFree86(mkfontdir) is before XFree86-fonts, and so rpm installs
> everything in that order, and the result:
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfont.so.1: can't open
> shared library: no such file or directory

IMHO above case can be simple fixed manualy by adding for XFree86
"Prereq: XFree86-libs". Add this will make list reorder to:
"XFree86-libs XFree86 XFree86-fonts" wich can be correct.

Automated adding Preq rules possibly can not be performed. Why ?
For examle if we have three packages like above but if additionaly each is
builded from separated source during building one package we can't change
require/Prereq rules in Builded peviouse builded packages.

Seems cases like above can be and must be fixed only by manual complete
Prereq rules or .. by statical linkage tools used in %post*/%pre*/%tigger*
scripts. Stacic linking is not elegant. Case like above is very similar to
%post script in gnome-print (IRCII fixed by you in way similar to above).

kloczek
PS. I have few other "last minute" modyfications for XFree86 next release
and I will modify XFree86 spec for this.
*Ludzie nie mają problemów, tylko sobie sami je stwarzają*
Tomasz Kłoczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: kloczek w rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl*