rpm still can't use proper package order...

Sebastian Zagrodzki s.zagrodzki w mimuw.edu.pl
Sob, 6 Sty 2001, 00:41:49 CET

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> > given order: XFree86 XFree86-fonts XFree86-libs

> IMHO above case can be simple fixed manualy by adding for XFree86
> "Prereq: XFree86-libs". Add this will make list reorder to:
> "XFree86-libs XFree86 XFree86-fonts" wich can be correct.
it's only a workaround, not a real fix...

> Automated adding Preq rules possibly can not be performed. Why ?
> For examle if we have three packages like above but if additionaly each is
> builded from separated source during building one package we can't change
> require/Prereq rules in Builded peviouse builded packages.
I don't think I get it... :>>

> Seems cases like above can be and must be fixed only by manual complete
> Prereq rules or .. by statical linkage tools used in %post*/%pre*/%tigger*
> scripts. Stacic linking is not elegant. Case like above is very similar to
> %post script in gnome-print (IRCII fixed by you in way similar to above).
kloczek, think this over again... :>> Take these three packages and
see:

XFree86-libs XFree86 XFree86-fonts  XFree86-libs XFree86 XFree86-fonts    OK
XFree86-fonts XFree86 XFree86-libs  XFree86-libs XFree86 XFree86-fonts    OK
XFree86-libs XFree86-fonts XFree86  XFree86-libs XFree86 XFree86-fonts    OK
XFree86-fonts XFree86-libs XFree86  XFree86-libs XFree86 XFree86-fonts    OK
XFree86 XFree86-libs XFree86-fonts  XFree86-libs XFree86 XFree86-fonts    OK
XFree86 XFree86-fonts XFree86-libs  XFree86 XFree86-fonts XFree86-libs   WRONG

as U can see, the only case in which anything goes wrong is the one, in
which the first prereq dependency is satisfied, but the next one in
chain isn't... And the fix should be quite simple - just make rpm check
_all_ dependencies, not just the first one (at least at prereq)

> kloczek
> PS. I have few other "last minute" modyfications for XFree86 next release
> and I will modify XFree86 spec for this.
don't :>

--
Sebastian Zagrodzki			s.zagrodzki w mimuw.edu.pl
UIN 1770835				http://sokrates.mimuw.edu.pl/~zagrodzki

A co mnie obchodzi, co pomyślą inni...