Re: [RFC] Repository layout change / Zmiana układu repo

Patryk Zawadzki patrys w pld-linux.org
Nie, 13 Maj 2007, 21:10:39 CEST

On 5/13/07, Jan Rekorajski <baggins w sith.mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:
> We all know that CVS sucks, less for some (me included) and more for
> others.  But, if we want to switch to anything else, we have to change
> the repository layout from flat SPECS/SOURCES to dir-per-package,
> because any other CMS won't handle such layout (you can imagine how
> would SVN repo look like - a ~milion directories, and GIT just doesn't
> scale - I did a test on SPECS and got a monstrosity).

It should work perfectly the same way it does now except that each
spec file gets replaced by a directory with the same name.

> I have script to rebuild repo to dir-per-package, I did basic support in
> builder script and did some testing (converted a local copy, worked a
> while with new repo), so we can do the switch anytime.

> Any thoughts? Comments?

+1 for pushing for the move.

I suggest having specs sorted by their first letter so it is more
scalable in the future.

We also need a script that syncs the RCS repo with a directory
mirroring the current SPECS behaviour (symlinks to all SPEC files
currently checked out) - for these rare times when you need to grep
through the whole repo and mass-commit your changes.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
Generated Content