packages: grub2/grub.sysconfig - default no recovery menu

Bartosz Świątek shadzik w gmail.com
Pią, 4 Gru 2009, 21:52:59 CET

2009/12/4 Patryk Zawadzki <patrys w pld-linux.org>:
> 2009/12/4 Bartosz Świątek <shadzik w gmail.com>:
>> W dniu 4 grudnia 2009 19:42 użytkownik Elan Ruusamäe
>>> press 'e' to edit grub commandline or supply whatever you want in kernel
>>> commandline.
>> Yep, sure, I'm gonna waste my time by pressing 'e' each time I wan't
>> single user mode - that's dump - really dump.
>
> Sure, I guess these five seconds per year (I assume a properly
> configured machine needs such maintenance mode once a year) could be
> spent doing something productive like arguing over a feature enabled
> and then disabled by glen.

Like you know how much development machines I have where this option
is a "must have".

>>> i added the feature i can disable it being default on as well.
>> Yes, since when? I brought kde4 to PLD I can remove it? What fucking
>> philosophy is this? Are you drunk?
>
> If people can get it back by pressing a letter or by editing a config
> file, sure, go ahead. You'll save KDE guys hundreds of MBs in
> downloads.

Pressing anything anywhere won't magically add a menu option back -
don't you think?
Pressing 'e' each time and adding apropriate options to get single
user mode is a monkey job - I will gladly hire you for that if it's
such a no big deal for you - will a banana for a day suite you as
payment?

There are many people using PLD who don't even know what option to add
to get to single user mode and googling it is kind of hard when your
system doesn't boot properly.

>>> if you want otherwise, disable/enable in your config.
>> You do so if this option adds "to much noise" to your menu. By default
>> this option is used by many distros, why should we do it otherwise?
>
> That's right (yet probably accidental): let's keep it disabled, why
> should we do otherwise?

And this says someone who wanted to replace poldek in favour of yum
and uses upstart (an ubuntu product). Bravo, your hipocrisy is even
bigger than mine.

>>> before my changes you had nothing, not even broken or working config.
>> Bla bla bla, you're really a hero. If it wasn't you, someone else
>> would have added it.
>
> Ooh, next year I'll just I'll go and drink with glen while
> SomeoneElse™ adds stuff :)

Keep your private life private.

>>> where did you got the votes that you already revert-commited?
>> Didn't have time to either wait for your response or to make a survey.
>> Your php changes did cost me too much time after an upgrade so I
>> dicided to prevent the same now with grub2.
>
> Let me quote: "You're really a hero."

I don't expect someone who thinks HTML is a programing language to
understand what it means to administrate productive servers and to fix
crucial software on them when someone else breaks it.

--
"I'm living proof if you do one thing right in your career, you can
coast for a long time. A LOOOOONG time." -Guy Kawasaki