en_US locale with glibc-2.2.3-2

Chris Garrigues cwg-pld at deepeddy.com
Thu May 10 18:52:15 CEST 2001

As mentioned on this list yesterday, I installed the PLD version of RPM.  This
also required installing the PLD version of glibc-2.2.3-2.

Now, much to my dismay, I get odd errors with RPM relating to locales:

# rpm -qa
rpm: loadlocale.c:221: _nl_load_locale: Assertion `idx % __alignof__ (u_int32_t) == 0' failed.
Aborted

LC_ALL is set to en_US.  If I unset it, the problem goes away.  If I set it to
POSIX, the problem goes away.  If I set it to pl_PL (can't imagine why it
occured to me to try that ;-) , the problem goes away.  If I set it en_GB, the
problem returns.

My solution is to change my /etc/sysconfig/i18n to unset it (I assume this is
the same as setting it to POSIX), but as someone who lives in that part of the
world that only uses the lower part of the character set, this was a bit of a
shock to have to learn how locales work.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.