Installer.

Linus Swälas linus at wineasy.se
Wed Oct 3 17:38:21 CEST 2001

So I tried and I conquered. Not. =)
There seems to be a problem with the installar that I can't understand. I don't
know how parted works but to me it seems a bit buggy. This is what happens when
I run installer (after setup of course).

/bin # installer
Validation complete, config is OK
    Mounting /dev/hdb on /src type iso9660
*** Checking existing partitions
!!! Creating new msdos label failed!
/bin #

Trying the offending line (in the beginning in /bin/installer-dest, a function
called create_new_label_if_not_exist or similar) on the command line directly
reveals:

/bin # parted -s /dev/hda print
Error: Invalid argument during seek for read on /dev/hda
/bin #

So, I suspected some kind of error with my partitioning so I booted up my old
linux installation and ran fsck on all partitions, all checked out ok, tried
fdisk /dev/hda, everything seems fine. Dumped the partition tables and checked
them by hand, still looks fine. So, fdisk from util-linux won't complain but
parted does.
I don't know parted, don't even know what it's trying to do when it want's to
create a new msdos label in my mbr. That just seems odd to me. I've also
specified use_existing in the config so why does parted bother? Of cource after
checking your script, parted is necessary for the script to figure out and build
a table of the existing partitions, am I right? Do you have a solution or
workaround for this problem? And why create a msdos label?

Regards

    /  Linus

PS.
If you'd like I can send you a dump of the partition tables, doubt that it would
help you though..
DS.

Linus Swälas
UNIX technician & programmer