new user, and some questions/comments

Jakub Bogusz qboosh at pld.org.pl
Tue Apr 9 21:23:34 CEST 2002

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 12:08:27PM +0200, Blues wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, John P. Looney wrote:
[...]
> > I was very used to /etc/init.d/<scripts> as I was used to Solaris and
> > RedHat - Does the LSB specify that /etc/rc.d/init.d should be used ? The
> > lack of a "service" command is annoying - I thought that was part of the
> > LSB too.
>
> In cvs-version there is service

BTW: I've checked LSB 1.1.0 - it says about /etc/init.d, but doesn't
mention 'service' command.

Maybe it whould be better to add /etc/init.d symlink for more LSB
compliance (but NOT /etc/rc[0-7].d dirs as some other "standard"
wanted)... but I think 'service' command is more useful.

Also, I don't think about strictly obeying LSB - it says for example
"Packages may not use RPM triggers" - but sometimes triggers are
_needed_ for correct upgrade.

--
Jakub Bogusz    http://prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl/~qboosh/