How do I configure file types and programs in Gnome 2.8?

Radoslaw Zielinski radek at karnet.pl
Fri Oct 8 14:56:11 CEST 2004

I can't find the application to configure file types and programs,
described in /usr/share/gnome/help/user-guide/C/goscustlookandfeel.xml
starting from line 148:

  10.5 Configuring File Types and Programs
  Use the File Types and Programs preference tool to configure the following:
  [ blah, blah, blah ]

According to section 9.2 of the documentation, it should be in
Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> File types and
programs; however, it's missing on my system.  Where do I find this
tool?

  $ rpm -qa|grep ^gnome|sort
  gnome2-user-docs-2.8.0-3
  gnome-applets-2.8.0-2