Partial PLD ftp server mirror

Dirk Ullrich dirk.ullrich at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 26 16:22:24 CEST 2006

2006/6/26, Liliana Ziołek <liliana.ziolek at gmail.com>:
> Hello Marcin,
>
> Monday, June 26, 2006, 3:19:42 PM, you wrote:
>
> > If you wish to use PLD on production machines I strongly recommend
> > version 2.0. It is in RC stage but it is really stable. If you'll go for
> > 3.0 keep in mind that not all software is available for it and you may
> > expect major changes in this line.
>
> I completely agree. Especially for a new PLD user that has to get used
> to PLD specific issues I think 2.0 (AC) would be much better.

I do not plan to deploy PLD to production machines yet. (Those maschines
run Debian or CRUX which I appily used for years now.) I simply want to learn
another Linux distro--and an RPM-based one this time. I have looked at
(and used) some other RPM-based distros for some time now--namely SuSE
and Redhat. But I did not'fall in love' with those distros. A big issue I
always disliked are the huge RPM pakages: I am used (mainly caused by
using Debian) to much more fine grained approach. And Im very pleased to
see the 'small is beautiful' approach to packaging in PLD, too.
So I want learn PLD to satisfy my needs of curiosity and adventure. (Until
recently those needs were fully satisfied by running Debian unstable. But at
the moment it becomes more and more stable :-( ...) And on the maschines
I would try PLD there is always (at least) another Linux distro running. I am
prepared to spend some days of hardest work and inquiry to get even a
minimal PLD system running. If I will fail I will give PLD 2.0 a try
before throwing
anything out of the window :-) Or would you say that there is at the moment
absolutely now way to get even a tiny PLD 3.0 system up and running?

> > APT is only available for PLD 1.0. But if you'll use poldek for lets say
> > one month you will love it :)
>
> One week will be enough in my opinion ;)

Okay, why not trying poldek right from the beginning even when being used
to APT (both for deb and rpm)?

Dirk