Steps to install a PLD core system

Marek Guevara Braun marek.guevara at atm.com.pl
Tue Jun 27 20:12:24 CEST 2006

Dirk Ullrich wrote:

> All these steps are running smoothly--but now I have some questions:
> a. When I my 'guessing Polish' is correct later only a kernel RPM and
>     "udev" will be added, and then you should be able to boot into the
>     system. I wonder whether some more packages needed.

Check /etc/sysconfig/geninitrd /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab (inside of
chroot) - sometimes you have to cheat to make geninitrd (initrd
preparation tool) produce a working initrd image.

Inside /etc/sysconfig/geninitrd you may/have to put some module names
for your disk controller, root filesystem (for ext3 you will need some
more modules in PRE...sth section -- see comments in the file), ...
You may also need to have proper /etc/fstab and forged /etc/mtab (which
should have / filesystem mounted is on the right device) - sometimes
geninitrd cannot guess all options.

If you want / fs on raid/md device better use dev instead of udev for
initrd generation.

And of course check your /boot/grub/menu.lst.

>     For instance what about the tools to check the root filesystem (check
>     will be issued by "/etc/rcd./rc.sysinit")? Are there other packages
>     needed for a minimal bootable system?

filesystem check is imho optional - it all depends on your /etc/fstab
options (and mkfs options for ext* fs) - for ext3 I think than it should
be installed (you should install it).

Regards,
Marek