Bulletins (idea)

Christopher Curtis ccurtis at aet-usa.com
Sat Sep 29 07:57:11 CEST 2001

Hello,

Please ignore me if bulletins are done this way, but ...

>From the [sparse] documentation I've read, spop3d keeps track of bulletins
by a .spop3d-bull file in the user's home directory (by default).  Now, I
haven't compiled support for bulletins, but this seems silly to me.  I
would like to propose the following logic:

$inbox   = stat <inbox>
$bulldir = stat <bulletin directory>
if( last_read($inbox) < last_wrote($bulldir) )
	foreach( $newbulletin in <$bulldir> )
		append_to_mailbox( $inbox, $newbulletin )

This should be the same logic functionally, but remove the need for a home
directory and a bunch of spop3d dotfiles.  It may not be "as reliable" as
the dotfile method, but it is if the inbox is a pure virtual (no user
account at all).  Maybe it's supplimental logic, and not a replacement,
but as I am not submitting a patch, I don't know ...

Also, is there any sort of expectancy for an official 0.16 release?

thanks,
Christopher