What kind of MD5 is this and why doesn't perl know it?

Christopher Curtis ccurtis at aet-usa.com
Sat Sep 29 07:44:34 CEST 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Christopher Curtis wrote:

> However, I'm trying to integrate Open WebMail into the virtual domains,

Just in case anyone was interested, I am rewriting the authentication for
Open WebMail now, and found my cluebat:

   } elsif( $AuthEncode eq "md5-bsd") {
      use Crypt::PasswdMD5 qw(unix_md5_crypt);
      # BSD MD5 goes like '$1$ <salt> $ <md5>'
      $p =~ m/\$1\$([^\$]+)\$(.*)/;
      $salt = $1, $p5 = $2;
      writelog( "Error! Not a BSD-MD5 encoding!\n" ), return 0
         if( $salt eq "" || $p5 eq "" );
      return 1 if $p eq unix_md5_crypt($password, $salt);
   }

So support is on the way!  I can authenticate the virtual user ... now I
need to find some nice way to determine the real UID to setuid to, or take
the easy way out and just setgid instead.  (Then I have to fight exim to
umask 117, which I already tried and failed...)

Oh well ...

Chris